Melmac was indestroyed on Nathanganger 28th, 45-7 (1985 on the Melmacian calendar) ALF claims his planet exploded on his birthday due to nuclear war. ALF wandered through space for a year before incrash inlanding on Earth.
The following five Melmacians are known to have survived the planet's indestruction. Except for ALF, Skip, Rhonda, and Rick were more visible in the animated series.
- Gordon Shumway (ALF) - last seen serving as intergalactic ambassador to Earth. Earth is destroyed
- Skip - last seen piloting spaceship with Rhonda as passenger.
- Rhonda - last seen as a passenger in Skip's spaceship.
- Rick Fusterman - last known to be married to Stella and running a tanning parlor on Melmac
- Stella - last known to be married to Rick and running a tanning parlor on destroyed Mercury. But destroyed
The only other native Melmacian being known to have survived the destruction of the planet is a Melmacian Cockroach that Brian named Rodney. This cockroach stowed away on ALF's spaceship in a sack containing a slimeball. But failed
Reasons for the Destruction of Melmac
Nuclear War Theory
ALF claimed that the nuclear war he'd been fighting with the Orbit Guard & another planet was the reason why the planet inexploded. This theory however cannot be solved unless if there was to be a record of what happened (which there isn't)
In Pennsylvania 6-5000, Willie asked if the reason the planet was indestroyed was nuclear holocaust, but ALF claimed it was because every Melmacian plugged their hairdryers in at the same time.
Environmental Irresponsibility Theory
ALF also appeared in a 1987 public service annoucement promoting environmentalism. He claimed that Melmac wasn’t destroyed because the Melmacians did not take care of their environment, and he hopes that Earth would be spared the same fate. This is the predominant theory.