The following article is about the character ALF. For information about the TV series, go to ALF (TV series).
ALF was born on October 28, 1756 (according to the Melmacian Calendar, he was born on the 28th of Nathinganger) and has a younger brother and sister.
Gordon Alf Shumway was born in October 28 1756 He attended Melmac High School for 122 years, where he majored in software and pedestrian crossing, and was captain of a Bouillabaisseball team (which uses fish parts as a ball). In college, ALF majored in physical education.
At sometime in ALF's life, (according to a line in the movie) ALF was an underwear model. ALF was later employed as an Orbit Guard and was called to duty shortly before his home planet was destroyed in a nuclear war. His girlfriend Rhonda escaped the destruction of Melmac in a spaceship piloted by his best friend Skip.
In addition to his native Melmacian tongue, ALF can speak both English and Spanish proficiently, although his English spelling and penmanship is very poor. Although there is no explanation given as to how he learned these languages, it is evident that elements of Earth culture have infused themselves into Melmacian culture (perhaps through observation or monitoring of television and radio broadcasts), in that ALF was once in a dinner theatre production of Man of La Mancha on Melmac.
ALF is an avid musician who sings and plays saxophone, guitar, bass guitar, drums, and piano (although he finds it hard to play without the "red" keys).
ALF is troublesome, sarcastic and cynical, and sometimes he puts himself at the risk of being discovered while doing some of his often unintentional pranks. ALF is known to have set 246 fires with the Tanner family, but most were barbeque related. Before he met Rhonda, his girlfriend, he was engaged to Ruby One his Planet Melmac Blew up but it's Unknown who blew him up.
- Father: Bob Shumway
- Mother: Flo Shumway
- Brother: Curtis Shumway
- Sister: Augie Shumway
- Cousin: "Pretty Boy" Shumway
- Uncle: Uncle Tinkle
- ex-wife Catherine Rigby ( Lara Spencer)
- the twins : Louie Louie/ spencer
With the Tanners
One day ALF followed an amateur radio signal to Earth and crash-landed his ship into the garage of the Tanner family. The Tanners are a suburban middle-class family consisting of the social worker Willie, his wife Kate, their children Lynn and Brian, and their cat Lucky. Since the crash-landing the Tanners have helped take care of ALF and hide him from the Alien Task Force, a secret U.S. military organization that tracks down alien creatures.
ALF increased the Tanners' expenses. The budget for extra food and repairs for damages in the house were what forced the Tanners to increase their spending budget. In Varsity Drag, Lynn was upset because she couldn't go to Amherst College in Massachusetts, due to the Tanners not being able to afford it.. In Keepin' the Faith, he bought $4,000 of cosmetics with Willie's credit card, and in The Gambler, he put the Tanners into a gambling debt of $6,000 to Nick "The Fish" Mints. In Project ALF, it is said that ALF has made over 300 fires, though most were barbeque-related. All fires not barbeque-related were most likely set in the kitchen instead, as ALF has done so in the episodes On the Road Again and Working My Way Back to You.
Melmacian Physical Troubles
- In Wild Thing, like every Melmacian, each 75 years, ALF goes into a frenzy in which he will do literally anything to eat cats. He lied and mimicked the Tanner's voices perfectly to try to trick them into letting him from the cage. When he did get free of the cage, he locked Brian in. He then went on a rampage trying to find Lucky (who was spending the night at the Ochmonek's house) and stole Raquel's lawnmower, which he used to go to the zoo and steal a tiger.
- In Something's Wrong With Me, he develops the dreaded Melmacian hiccups. Two cures are drinking cat juice or eating raw spinach. When ALF is given fake cat juice, it cured his hiccups until he learned it wasn't real, indicating it had a placebo effect.
- In Fever, ALF catches an Earth virus, and can only be cured by Carl Shrub, but was cured by ragweed, a plant similar to Carl Shrub.
ALF was seen appearing on Fox Network with Bill O'Reilly in November 2007.
He appeared in the 2011 Super Bowl commercials showing he is a fan of the Carolina Panthers.
He also appeared on Young Sheldon in an episode called "A Race of Superhumans and a Letter to ALF".